Today, our topic is about “Envy”. Don’t say you haven’t been jealous before, everybody gets jealous in one point of time in their lives. I get jealous of my younger sister at times and sometimes too jealous that it brought hatred to my heart. That’s the dangerous part. You could say that, the worst enemy of friendship is ENVY.
1.) Is there something that could, I don’t know… overpower jealousy?
Yes, and that is…LOVE.
2.) What is envy, to be exact?
Envy is resenting God’s goodness to others and ignoring God’s goodness to me.
– Where there is envy, you find every kind of evil (James 3:16)
ANTIDOTES FOR ENVY
- The last will be first and the first will be last (Matthew 20:1-16)
1. Stop comparing yourself to others.
Reasons not to compare:
a. You (we) are unique.
b. Leads to pride and envy.
- I am unique (Psalm 139:14)
2. Start enjoying God’s grace to others.
- Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn (Romans 12:15)
3. Be grateful for what you have.
- Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what you don’t have. Just dreaming about nice things is meaningless- Like chasing the wind (Ecclesiastes 6:9)
4. STOP comparing; STOP competing.
5. Trust God when life seems unfair.
BOTTOM LINE IS:
When you’re envious, you’re in a battle with God, you accuse Him for being unfair.
- When you’re busy serving, you don’t have time for envy.
- If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over (Matthew 18: 15)